- I started the year writing The Battle of X and Y for Philadelphia
new-music ensemble Relâche, instrumentation:
tenor sax, drums, double bass, oboe, piano, bassoon, viola. At this writing
(early 2001) I need to add flute to include everyone who is now in Relache
for the premiere in May 2001.
- I then wrote Getting In & Out Of Trouble for Bob Stewart's "pit orchestra"
at LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and the Performing Arts where I am
BMI Composer-in-Residence. This was commissioned by the Alumni & Friends of
LaGuardia. Bob and his group premiered the piece in May.
- I wroteFireworks, for American Opera Projects, setting a Midsummer-Night's-Dream-deft
comedy by librettist and playwright Billy Aronson about an alien who comes
to earth to investigate the 4th of July. We premiered the Scenes 1-6, 12 and
15-16 at the Orensanz Foundation in June.
- I closed out Dadadah's two-year
CB's Lounge Residency in June 1999. A few of our guests in 1999 were Butch
Morris, Derek Bermel and the group First Avenue.
- Dadadah's 2nd CDLove Not Love
Lust Not Lustwas released on Buzz Records, a division of the Dutch jazz
label Challenge, in summer 1999 to great critical acclaim (reviews from Rolling
Stone, Schwann, New York Times and signal to noise
among others---see reviews).
- To celebrate the CD release Valeria Vasilevski directed me and Dadadah in
Kitty Brazelton in 3D!!! based on songs from Love
Not Love Lust Not Lust,
and we premiered it at Joe's Pub in early October and took it to HotHouse
in Chicago for Halloween.
- Also celebrating the release, I began the enormous project of putting up
this website and managed to miss most of my family's summer vacation in the